cookie(redirected from Evercookie)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
cook·iealso cook·y (ko͝ok′ē)
n. pl. cook·ies
1. A small, usually flat and crisp cake made from sweetened dough.
2. Slang A person, usually of a specified kind: a lawyer who was a tough cookie.
3. Computers A collection of information, usually including a username and the current date and time, stored on the local computer of a person using the World Wide Web, used chiefly by websites to identify users who have previously registered or visited the site.
[Dutch koekje, diminutive of koek, cake, from Middle Dutch koeke; akin to German Kuchen and Old Norse kaka, cake.]
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
n, pl -ies
1. (Cookery) US and Canadian a small flat dry sweet or plain cake of many varieties, baked from a dough. Also called (in Britain and certain other countries): biscuit
2. (Cookery) a Scot word for bun
3. informal a person: smart cookie.
4. (Telecommunications) computing a piece of data downloaded to a computer by a website, containing details of the preferences of that computer's user which identify the user when revisiting that website
5. that's the way the cookie crumbles informal matters are inevitably or unalterably so
[C18: from Dutch koekje, diminutive of koek cake]
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
or cook•y(ˈkʊk i)
n., pl. cook•ies.
1. a small, flat, sweetened cake, often round, made from stiff dough baked on a large, flat pan (cook′ie sheet`).
2. Slang. a person: a smart cookie.
3. Computers. a message, or segment of data, containing information about a user, sent by a Web server to a browser and sent back to the server each time the browser requests a Web page.
[1695–1705; < Dutch koekie, dial. variant of koekje=koek cake + -je diminutive suffix]
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
1. A data file that a web server stores on a user’s computer to identify the user and allow quick access the next time the user visits the server.
2. A small text file that contains information about a computer that has been used to visit a website. Some web servers send cookies to all computers that access them and these are stored on the computer’s hard drive. The next time the same computer is used to access the same website the web server for that site reads the cookie enabling it to identify the user and implement any preferences that user may have decided on during their last visit.
Dictionary of Unfamiliar Words by Diagram Group Copyright © 2008 by Diagram Visual Information Limited
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||cookie - any of various small flat sweet cakes (`biscuit' is the British term)|
cake - baked goods made from or based on a mixture of flour, sugar, eggs, and fat
dog biscuit - a hard biscuit for dogs
butter cookie - cookie containing much butter
spice cookie - cookie flavored with spices
almond cookie, almond crescent - very rich cookie containing ground almonds; usually crescent-shaped
brownie - square or bar of very rich chocolate cake usually with nuts
macaroon - chewy cookie usually containing almond paste
kiss - a cookie made of egg whites and sugar
ladyfinger - small finger-shaped sponge cake
anise cookie - cookie made without butter and flavored with anise seed
molasses cookie - very spicy cookies sweetened partially with molasses
raisin-nut cookie - cookie filled with a paste of raisins and nuts
refrigerator cookie - dough formed into a roll and chilled in the refrigerator then sliced and baked
raisin cookie - cookie containing raisins
fruit bar - cookies containing chopped fruits either mixed in the dough or spread between layers of dough then baked and cut in bars
sugar cookie - cookies sprinkled with granulated sugar
oatmeal cookie - cookies containing rolled oats
fortune cookie - thin folded wafer containing a maxim on a slip of paper
gingerbread man - gingerbread cut in the shape of a person
wafer - a small thin crisp cake or cookie
granola bar - cookie bar made of granola
Britain, Great Britain, U.K., UK, United Kingdom, United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland - a monarchy in northwestern Europe occupying most of the British Isles; divided into England and Scotland and Wales and Northern Ireland; `Great Britain' is often used loosely to refer to the United Kingdom
|2.||cookie - the cook on a ranch or at a camp |
cook - someone who cooks food
|3.||cookie - a short line of text that a web site puts on your computer's hard drive when you access the web site|
session cookie - a cookie that is stored temporarily and is destroyed when you close the link
precision cookie - a cookie that is saved permanently on your hard drive
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
بَسْكَوِيتكَعْـكَـه رقيقَـه مُسَطَّـحـه
2. (= person) → tipo/a m/f, tío/a m/f
she's a smart cookie → es una chica lista
a tough cookie → un tío duro
she's a smart cookie → es una chica lista
a tough cookie → un tío duro
3. (Internet) → cookie f
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
Collins English/French Electronic Resource. © HarperCollins Publishers 2005
(US: = biscuit) → Keks m, → Plätzchen nt; that’s the way the cookie crumbles (inf: also Brit) → so ist das nun mal (im Leben), das ist der Lauf der Welt or der Dinge; to get caught with one’s hands in the cookie jar (fig inf) → ertappt werden (inf)
(inf: = smart person) → Typ m; he’s a pretty tough cookie → er ist ein ziemlich zäher Typ; smart cookie → cleveres Köpfchen
(Comput) → Cookie nt
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007
cookie[ˈkʊkɪ] n (Am) (biscuit) → biscotto
Collins Italian Dictionary 1st Edition © HarperCollins Publishers 1995
(American) a biscuit. koekie كَعْـكَـه رقيقَـه مُسَطَّـحـه бисквита biscoito sušenka, koláček das Plätzchen småkage; cookie μπισκότοgalleta, bizcocho küpsis بیسکوئیت keksi gâteau secעוגייה मीठा बिस्कुट, बिस्कुट čajni kolačić aprósütemény kue smákaka biscotto クッキー 쿠키 sausainis, tešlainis cepums biskut koekjesmåkakeciastko, herbatnik كلچه biscoito fursec печенье sušienka piškot keks [små]kaka, kex คุกกี้ kurabiye, bisküvi (美式說法)餅乾 печиво بسکٹ bánh bích quy （美国）饼干
Kernerman English Multilingual Dictionary © 2006-2013 K Dictionaries Ltd.
cookie→ بَسْكَوِيت sušenka kiks Keks μπισκότο galleta keksi biscuit keks biscotto ビスケット 비스킷 biscuit kjeks herbatnik bolacha печенье kex ขนมปังกรอบ bisküvi bánh quy 饼干
Multilingual Translator © HarperCollins Publishers 2009
English-Spanish/Spanish-English Medical Dictionary Copyright © 2006 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc. All rights reserved.