Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Idioms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
- Eyelids drooped as though the lashes weighed intolerably —Truman Capote
- Eyelids fluttering, as if assailed by gnats —Leonard Michaels
- Eyelids heavy as if from too much dreaming. His dreaming lay like the edges of a deep slumber on the rim of his eyelids —Anais Nin
- Eyelids … hung askew over her cloudy gray eyes [too weak to be raised or lowered] like broken blinds in the windows of a condemned house —Gerald Kersh
- Eyelids like thin gray leather —Ken Kesey
- Eyelids pale like a chicken’s —V. S. Pritchett
- Eyelids translucent as crepe —Jayne Anne Phillips
- Eyelids which looked like walnut shells —Julia O’Faolain
- Eyes … double-lidded like the eyes of the black bull snake —Will Weaver
- Heavy eyelids … like small, brown, wrinkled egg-shells —Brian Glanville
- Lids … like furrows in deeply plowed soil —Anon
- Lower lids as straight as ruler-edges —Dashiell Hammett
- Eyelids flutter like butterflies that children have impaled alive on pins —Erich Maria Remarque
- The thick red-lined lids hung over the eyeballs like blinds of which the cords are broken —Edith Wharton
Similes Dictionary, 1st Edition. © 1988 The Gale Group, Inc. All rights reserved.