Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Financial, Acronyms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
The symbol for fluorine.
1. Sports faceoff
5. fax machine number
7. Genetics filial generation
8. Sports forward
9. Sports foul
12. Football fumble
f 1or F (ĕf)
n. pl. f's or F's also fs or Fs
1. The sixth letter of the modern English alphabet.
2. Any of the speech sounds represented by the letter f.
3. The sixth in a series.
4. Something shaped like the letter F.
5. F A grade that indicates failing status.
a. The fourth tone in the scale of C major or the sixth tone in the relative minor scale.
b. A key or scale in which F is the tonic.
c. A written or printed note representing this tone.
d. A string, key, or pipe tuned to the pitch of this tone.
1. Grammar feminine
2. focal length
n, pl f's, F's or Fs
1. (Linguistics) the sixth letter and fourth consonant of the modern English alphabet
2. (Phonetics & Phonology) a speech sound represented by this letter, usually a voiceless labio-dental fricative, as in fat
1. (Classical Music) music forte: an instruction to play loudly
2. (General Physics) physics frequency
3. (Currencies) (formerly in the Netherlands) guilder
4. (Mathematics) maths function (of)
5. (General Physics) physics femto-
6. (Chess & Draughts) chess See algebraic notation
[(sense 3) from Dutch: florin]
1. (Classical Music) music
a. a note having a frequency of 349.23 hertz (F above middle C) or this value multiplied or divided by any power of 2; the fourth note of the scale of C major
b. a key, string, or pipe producing this note
c. the major or minor key having this note as its tonic
2. (General Physics) Fahrenheit
4. (Chemistry) chem fluorine
5. (General Physics) Helmholtz function
6. (General Physics) physics force
7. (Currencies) franc(s)
8. (General Physics) farad(s)
9. genetics a generation of filial offspring, F1 being the first generation of offspring, F2 being the second generation, etc
(Automotive Engineering) France (international car registration)
n., pl. Fs F's, fs f's.
1. the sixth letter of the English alphabet, a consonant.
2. any spoken sound represented by this letter.
3. something shaped like an F.
4. a written or printed representation of the letter F or f.
2. Genetics. filial.
1. the sixth in order or in a series.
2. (sometimes l.c.) (in some grading systems) a grade or mark that indicates academic work of the lowest quality; failure.
a. the fourth note of the ascending C major scale.
b. a tonality having F as the tonic.
b. function (of).
8. (sometimes l.c.) Physics.
2. Music. forte.
1. focal length.
2. fluid dram.
3. Math. function (of).
14. formed of.
1. The symbol for fluorine.
2. Abbreviation of Fahrenheit
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||F - a degree on the Fahrenheit scale of temperature|
degree - a unit of temperature on a specified scale; "the game was played in spite of the 40-degree temperature"
|2.||F - a nonmetallic univalent element belonging to the halogens; usually a yellow irritating toxic flammable gas; a powerful oxidizing agent; recovered from fluorite or cryolite or fluorapatite|
chemical element, element - any of the more than 100 known substances (of which 92 occur naturally) that cannot be separated into simpler substances and that singly or in combination constitute all matter
cryolite, Greenland spar - a white mineral consisting of fluorides of aluminum and sodium; a source of fluorine
fluorapatite - a form of apatite in which fluorine predominates over chlorine
fluor, fluorite, fluorspar - a soft mineral (calcium fluoride) that is fluorescent in ultraviolet light; chief source of fluorine
gas - a fluid in the gaseous state having neither independent shape nor volume and being able to expand indefinitely
halogen - any of five related nonmetallic elements (fluorine or chlorine or bromine or iodine or astatine) that are all monovalent and readily form negative ions
|3.||F - the capacitance of a capacitor that has an equal and opposite charge of 1 coulomb on each plate and a voltage difference of 1 volt between the plates|
capacitance unit - a measure of the capacity of a circuit component to store charge
millifarad - a unit of capacitance equal to one thousandth of a farad
abfarad - a capacitance unit equal to one billion farads
|4.||f - the 6th letter of the Roman alphabet|
Latin alphabet, Roman alphabet - the alphabet evolved by the ancient Romans which serves for writing most of the languages of western Europe
Ff [ɛf] n
a. (letter) → F, f f or m inv
F for Frederick (Am) F for fox → F come Firenze
F for Frederick (Am) F for fox → F come Firenze
b. (Mus) F → fa m inv
Fahrenheit. Fahrenheit فِهرِنهايت фаренхайт F Fahrenheit Fahrenheit F Φαρενάιτ (συντομογρ.) Fahrenheit F (Fahrenheiti tähis) فارنهایت F Fahrenheit פָרֶנהַיט फैरेनहिट का संक्षिप्त kratica za farenhajt Fahrenheit F Fahrenheit 華氏 화씨 온도계 pagal Farenheitą Fārenheits F F., Fahrenheit F (fahrenheit) F, Fahrenheit فارنهایت Fahrenheit шкала Фаренгейта Fahrenheit Fahrenheit Farenhajt Fahrenheit ฟาห์เรนไฮต์ Fahrenheit derecesi 華氏溫度(書面縮寫) температурна шкала Фаренгейта کی تخفیف Fahrenheit độ Fa-ren-hét 华氏温度（书面语缩写式）