Also found in: Thesaurus, Acronyms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to Faeroese: Faroese
Variant of Faroese.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Placename) of, relating to, or characteristic of the Faeroes, their inhabitants, or their language
2. (Peoples) of, relating to, or characteristic of the Faeroes, their inhabitants, or their language
3. (Languages) of, relating to, or characteristic of the Faeroes, their inhabitants, or their language
4. (Languages) the chief language of the Faeroes, closely related to Icelandic, although they are not mutually intelligible
5. (Peoples) a native or inhabitant of the Faeroes
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
or Far•o•ese(ˌfɛər oʊˈiz, -ˈis)
n., pl. -ese,
1. a native or inhabitant of the Faeroe Islands.
2. the North Germanic language of the Faeroese.adj.
3. of or pertaining to the Faeroe Islands, their inhabitants, or the language Faeroese.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||Faeroese - a Scandinavian language (closely related to Icelandic) that is spoken on the Faroe Islands|
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.