fairy tale(redirected from Fairy tales)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Idioms, Encyclopedia.
1. A fanciful tale of legendary deeds and creatures, usually intended for children.
2. A fictitious, highly fanciful story or explanation.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Literary & Literary Critical Terms) a story about fairies or other mythical or magical beings, esp one of traditional origin told to children
2. a highly improbable account
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. a story, usu. for children, about elves, hobgoblins, dragons, fairies, or other magical creatures.
2. an incredible or misleading statement or account. Also called fair′y sto`ry.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||fairy tale - a story about fairies; told to amuse children|
narration, narrative, story, tale - a message that tells the particulars of an act or occurrence or course of events; presented in writing or drama or cinema or as a radio or television program; "his narrative was interesting"; "Disney's stories entertain adults as well as children"
Bluebeard - (fairytale) a monstrous villain who marries seven women; he kills the first six for disobedience
|2.||fairy tale - an interesting but highly implausible story; often told as an excuse|
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
fairy talefairy story
Collins Thesaurus of the English Language – Complete and Unabridged 2nd Edition. 2002 © HarperCollins Publishers 1995, 2002
chuyện cổ tích
Collins Italian Dictionary 1st Edition © HarperCollins Publishers 1995
fairy tale→ حِكَايَةٌ خُرافِيَّة pohádka eventyr Märchen παραμύθι cuento de hadas satu conte de fées bajka fiaba おとぎ話 동화 sprookje eventyr bajka conto de fadas сказка saga นิทานเทพนิยาย peri masalı chuyện cổ tích 童话
Multilingual Translator © HarperCollins Publishers 2009