fava bean(redirected from Fava beans)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia.
1. An annual Old World plant (Vicia faba) in the pea family, having pinnately compound leaves, white flowers with lateral purplish blotches, and long thick pods.
2. The edible seed or green pod of this plant. In both senses also called broad bean, horse bean.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
fava bean(ˈfɑːvə) or
nAlso called: broad bean
1. (Plants) an erect annual Eurasian bean plant, Vicia faba, cultivated for its large edible flattened seeds, used as a vegetable
2. (Plants) the seed of this plant
[C20: Italian fava from Latin faba bean]
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
fa′va bean`(ˈfɑ və)
1. a bean, Vicia faba, of the Old World, bearing large pods containing edible seeds.
[1940–45; < Italian < Latin faba]
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||fava bean - seed of the broad-bean plant |
broad-bean, broad-bean plant, English bean, European bean, field bean, Vicia faba, broad bean - Old World upright plant grown especially for its large flat edible seeds but also as fodder
bean - any of various seeds or fruits that are beans or resemble beans
|2.||fava bean - shell beans cooked as lima beans|
shell bean - unripe beans removed from the pod before cooking
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
fava bean[ˈfɑːvəbiːn] N (US) → haba f
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007
fava bean→ فول bob hestebønne Saubohne κουκί haba härkäpapu fève bob fava ソラマメ 잠두 tuinboon bønnevikke bób fava, feijão-fava конские бобы bondböna ถั่วชนิดหนึ่งเป็นผัก bakla đậu tằm 蚕豆
Multilingual Translator © HarperCollins Publishers 2009