coverture(redirected from Fem covert)
Also found in: Legal.
a. A covering; a shelter.
b. The state of being concealed; disguise.
2. Law The status of a married woman under common law.
[Middle English, from Old French, from covert, covered; see covert.]
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Law) law the condition or status of a married woman considered as being under the protection and influence of her husband
2. rare shelter, concealment, or disguise
[C13: from Old French, from covert covered; see covert]
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
cov•er•ture(ˈkʌv ər tʃər)
1. a cover or covering; shelter; concealment.
2. the legal status of a married woman.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Law. the status of a married woman.See also: Women
the status of a married woman.See also: Law
-Ologies & -Isms. Copyright 2008 The Gale Group, Inc. All rights reserved.