coverture(redirected from Femme Couverte)
Also found in: Legal.
a. A covering; a shelter.
b. The state of being concealed; disguise.
2. Law The status of a married woman under common law.
[Middle English, from Old French, from covert, covered; see covert.]
1. (Law) law the condition or status of a married woman considered as being under the protection and influence of her husband
2. rare shelter, concealment, or disguise
[C13: from Old French, from covert covered; see covert]
cov•er•ture(ˈkʌv ər tʃər)
1. a cover or covering; shelter; concealment.
2. the legal status of a married woman.
Law. the status of a married woman.See also: Women
the status of a married woman.See also: Law