ferrite(redirected from Ferrites)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia.
Related to Ferrites: Spinel structure
1. Any of a group of nonmetallic, ceramiclike, usually ferromagnetic compounds of ferric oxide with other oxides, especially such a compound characterized by extremely high electrical resistivity and used in computer memory elements, permanent magnets, and various solid-state devices. Also called ferrate.
2. Iron that has not combined with carbon, occurring commonly in steel, cast iron, and pig iron below 910°C.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Elements & Compounds) any of a group of ferromagnetic highly resistive ceramic compounds with the formula MFe2O4, where M is usually a metal such as cobalt or zinc
2. (Elements & Compounds) any of the body-centred cubic allotropes of iron, such as alpha iron, occurring in steel, cast iron, etc
3. (Geological Science) any of various microscopic grains, probably composed of iron compounds, in certain igneous rocks
[C19: from ferri- + -ite1]
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. a magnetic compound of ferric oxide with another metallic oxide, used in computer memory cores and other electronic equipment.
2. the pure iron constituent of ferrous metals, as distinguished from the iron carbides.
[1875–80; < Latin ferr(um) iron]
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||ferrite - a solid solution in which alpha iron is the solvent|
alpha iron - a magnetic allotrope of iron; stable below 906 degrees centigrade
pearlite - a lamellar mixture of cementite and ferrite formed during the cooling of austenite; a constituent of steel and cast iron
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
ferrite[ˈferaɪt] N → ferrito m, ferrita f
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
n → Ferrit m; ferrite rod → Ferritstab m
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007