fetishism(redirected from Fethishist)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
1. Worship of or belief in magical fetishes.
2. Excessive attachment or regard.
3. The deriving of sexual gratification from fantasies or acts involving a fetish.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
fetishism(ˈfɛtɪˌʃɪzəm; ˈfiː-) or
1. (Psychiatry) a condition in which the handling of an inanimate object or a specific part of the body other than the sexual organs is a source of sexual satisfaction
2. (Alternative Belief Systems) belief in or recourse to a fetish for magical purposes
3. excessive attention or attachment to something
ˈfetishist, ˈfetichist n
ˌfetishˈistic, ˌfetichˈistic adj
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
fet•ish•ism(ˈfɛt ɪˌʃɪz əm, ˈfi tɪ-)
1. belief in, preference for, or use of fetishes.
2. excessive or blind devotion.Sometimes, fet′ich•ism.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Psychiatry. the compulsive use of some object or part of the body as a sexual stimulus, as a shoe, underclothes, a lock of hair, etc. — fetishist, fetichist, n. — fetishistic, fetichistic, adj.See also: Sex
-Ologies & -Isms. Copyright 2008 The Gale Group, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||fetishism - a belief in the magical power of fetishes (or the worship of a fetish)|
belief - any cognitive content held as true
|2.||fetishism - sexual arousal or gratification resulting from handling a fetish (or a specific part of the body other than the sexual organs)|
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
fetishism[ˈfetɪʃɪzəm] N → fetichismo m
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
fetishism[ˈfɛtɪʃɪzəm] n → fétichisme m
Collins English/French Electronic Resource. © HarperCollins Publishers 2005
n → Fetischismus m
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007
fetishism[ˈfɛtɪˌʃɪzəm] n → feticismo
Collins Italian Dictionary 1st Edition © HarperCollins Publishers 1995