Fischer(redirected from Fischers)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
Fi·scher(fĭsh′ər), Emil Hermann 1852-1919.
German chemist. He won a 1902 Nobel Prize for his work on the structure and synthesis of sugars and purines.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Biography) Emil Hermann (ˈeːmiːl ˈhɛrman). 1852–1919, German chemist, noted particularly for his work on synthetic sugars and the purine group: Nobel prize for chemistry 1902
2. (Biography) Ernst Otto. 1918–94, German chemist: shared the Nobel prize for chemistry in 1973 with Geoffrey Wilkinson for his work on inorganic complexes
3. (Biography) Hans (hans). 1881–1945, German chemist, noted particularly for his work on chlorophyll, haemin, and the porphyrins: Nobel prize for chemistry 1930
4. (Biography) Robert James, known as Bobby. 1943–2008, US chess player; world champion 1972–75
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. Edmond, born 1920, U.S. biochemist, born in China: Nobel prize for physiology or medicine 1992.
2. Emil, 1852–1919, German chemist: Nobel prize 1902.
3. Ernst Otto, born 1918, German chemist: Nobel prize 1973.
4. Hans, 1881–1945, German chemist: Nobel prize 1930.
5. Robert James ( “Bobby” ), born 1943, U.S. chess player.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||Fischer - German chemist noted for his synthesis of hemin (1881-1945)|
|2.||Fischer - German chemist noted for work on synthetic sugars and the purines (1852-1919)|
|3.||Fischer - United States chess master; world champion from 1972 to 1975 (born in 1943)|
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.