fixer(redirected from Fixer (law))
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
1. One that fixes: a fixer of radios.
2. Informal A person who uses influence or makes arrangements for another, especially by improper or unlawful means.
3. A chemical preservative used to fix a photographic image.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. a person or thing that fixes
2. (Photography) photog a solution containing one or more chemical compounds that is used, in fixing, to dissolve unexposed silver halides. It sometimes has an additive to stop the action of developer
3. slang a person who makes arrangements, esp by underhand or illegal means
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||fixer - someone who intervenes with authorities for a person in trouble (usually using underhand or illegal methods for a fee)|
|2.||fixer - a chemical compound that sets or fixes something (as a dye or a photographic image)|
chemical compound, compound - (chemistry) a substance formed by chemical union of two or more elements or ingredients in definite proportion by weight
fixative - a compound (such as ethanol or formaldehyde) that fixes tissues and cells for microscopic study
|3.||fixer - a skilled worker who mends or repairs things|
darner - a person who mends by darning
|4.||fixer - synthetic narcotic drug similar to morphine but less habit-forming; used in narcotic detoxification and maintenance of heroin addiction|
narcotic - a drug that produces numbness or stupor; often taken for pleasure or to reduce pain; extensive use can lead to addiction
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
n (Phot) → Fixiermittel nt
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007