adjutant(redirected from Flag adjutant)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Legal, Encyclopedia.
1. Abbr. Adj. or Adjt. A staff officer who helps a commanding officer with administrative affairs.
2. An assistant.
3. Either of two large Asian storks (Leptoptilos dubius or L. javanicus) having a head and neck bare of feathers, black wings, and white underparts. Also called adjutant stork.
[From Latin adiūtāns, adiūtant-, present participle of adiūtāre, to help; see aid.]
1. (Military) an officer who acts as administrative assistant to a superior officer. Abbreviation: adjt or adj
2. (Animals) short for adjutant bird
[C17: from Latin adjūtāre to aid]
ad•ju•tant(ˈædʒ ə tənt)
1. a military staff officer who assists the commanding officer.
2. an assistant.
[1590–1600; < Latin adjūtant-, s. of adjūtāns, present participle of adjūtāre to help, assist, frequentative of adjuvāre= ad- ad- + juvāre to help]
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||adjutant - an officer who acts as military assistant to a more senior officer|
armed forces, armed services, military, military machine, war machine - the military forces of a nation; "their military is the largest in the region"; "the military machine is the same one we faced in 1991 but now it is weaker"
adjutant general - a general's adjutant; chief administrative officer
|2.||adjutant - large Indian stork with a military gait|
stork - large mostly Old World wading birds typically having white-and-black plumage
A. N → ayudante mf
B. CPD Adjutant General N general responsable del aparato administrativo