flapper(redirected from Flapper girl)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia.
1. A broad flexible part, such as a flipper.
2. A young woman of the 1920s who rebelled against conventional ideas of ladylike behavior and dress.
[Sense 2, British Slang, very young female prostitute, flapper, possibly from flapper, fledgling partridge or duck (from flap) or from dialectal flap, loose or flighty girl.]
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. a person or thing that flaps
2. (Historical Terms) (in the 1920s) a young woman, esp one flaunting her unconventional dress and behaviour
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. something broad and flat used for striking.
2. a broad flat hinged or hanging piece; flap.
3. a young woman flouting conventional behavior esp. in the 1920s.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
A name applied in the 1920s to young women who behaved in public in a somewhat risqu? manner.
1001 Words and Phrases You Never Knew You Didn’t Know by W.R. Runyan Copyright © 2011 by W.R. Runyan