Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. A native or inhabitant of the historical region of Flanders or of the region of Flanders in northern Belgium.
2. A Belgian who is a native speaker of Flemish.
[Middle English, from Middle Dutch Vlāming.]
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
(Peoples) a native or inhabitant of Flanders or a Flemish-speaking Belgian. Compare Walloon
[C14: from Middle Dutch Vlaminc]
1. (Biography) Sir Alexander. 1881–1955, Scottish bacteriologist: discovered lysozyme (1922) and penicillin (1928): shared the Nobel prize for physiology or medicine in 1945
2. (Biography) Ian (Lancaster). 1908–64, English author of spy novels; creator of the secret agent James Bond
3. (Biography) Sir John Ambrose. 1849–1945, English electrical engineer: invented the thermionic valve (1904)
4. (Biography) Renée. born 1959, US operatic soprano and songwriter
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. a Flemish-speaking Belgian.
2. a native or inhabitant of Flanders.
[1350–1400; Middle English < Middle Dutch Vlaeminc=Vlaem-, akin to Vlānderen Flanders + -ing -ing3; late Old English Flæming]
1. Sir Alexander, 1881–1955, Scottish bacteriologist: discoverer of penicillin.
2. Ian (Lancaster), 1908–64, British writer.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||Fleming - British writer famous for writing spy novels about secret agent James Bond (1908-1964)|
|2.||Fleming - Scottish bacteriologist who discovered penicillin (1881-1955)|
|3.||Fleming - a native of Flanders or a Flemish-speaking Belgian|
Belgique, Belgium, Kingdom of Belgium - a monarchy in northwestern Europe; headquarters for the European Union and for the North Atlantic Treaty Organization
Belgian - a native or inhabitant of Belgium
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
Fleming[ˈflemɪŋ] N → flamenco/a m/f
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007
Fleming[ˈflɛmɪŋ] n → fiammingo/a
Collins Italian Dictionary 1st Edition © HarperCollins Publishers 1995