Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to Flemish: Flemish people
Of or relating to Flanders, the Flemings, or their language or culture.
1. A group of Dutch dialects spoken in the southwestern Netherlands, northwest Belgium, and parts of northern France.
2. (used with a pl. verb) The Flemings.
[Middle English, probably from Middle Dutch Vlaemisch.]
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Languages) one of the two official languages of Belgium, almost identical in form with Dutch
2. (Peoples) the Flemish (functioning as plural) the Flemings collectively
3. (Placename) of, relating to, or characteristic of Flanders, the Flemings, or their language
4. (Peoples) of, relating to, or characteristic of Flanders, the Flemings, or their language
5. (Languages) of, relating to, or characteristic of Flanders, the Flemings, or their language
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. of or pertaining to Flanders, the Flemings, or their speech.n.
2. (used with a pl. v.)
a. the Flemish-speaking inhabitants of Belgium; Flemings.
b. the inhabitants of Flanders.
3. the Dutch language as spoken in N and E Belgium and adjacent parts of France: one of the official languages of Belgium.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||Flemish - an ethnic group speaking Flemish and living in northern and western Belgium|
|2.||Flemish - one of two official languages of Belgium; closely related to Dutch|
Dutch - the West Germanic language of the Netherlands
|Adj.||1.||Flemish - of or relating to Flanders or its people or language or culture; "the Flemish population of Belgium"; "Flemish painters"|
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
adj → flamand(e)
Collins English/French Electronic Resource. © HarperCollins Publishers 2005
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007
1. adj → fiammingo/a
Collins Italian Dictionary 1st Edition © HarperCollins Publishers 1995