Also found in: Thesaurus, Acronyms, Idioms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. A spectral ship said to appear in storms near the Cape of Good Hope.
2. The captain of this ship, a legendary Dutch mariner condemned to sail against the wind until Judgment Day.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (European Myth & Legend) legend
a. a phantom ship sighted in bad weather, esp off the Cape of Good Hope
b. the captain of this ship
2. a type of dinghy, designed to be crewed by two people
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. a legendary Dutch ghost ship reportedly seen at sea, esp. near the Cape of Good Hope.
2. the captain of this ship, condemned to sail the sea until the Day of Judgment.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||Flying Dutchman - the captain of a phantom ship (the Flying Dutchman) who was condemned to sail against the wind until Judgment Day|
|2.||Flying Dutchman - a phantom ship that is said to appear in storms near the Cape of Good Hope|
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.