for the birds(redirected from For the Birds (disambiguation))
a. Any of various warm-blooded egg-laying feathered vertebrates of the class Aves, having forelimbs modified to form wings.
b. Such an animal hunted as game.
c. Such an animal, especially a chicken or turkey, used as food: put the bird in the oven.
2. See clay pigeon.
3. Sports See shuttlecock.
4. Slang A rocket, guided missile, satellite, or airplane.
5. Slang A person, especially one who is odd or remarkable: a sly old bird.
6. Chiefly British Slang A young woman.
a. A loud sound expressing disapproval; a raspberry.
b. Discharge from employment: lost a big sale and nearly got the bird.
8. An obscene gesture of anger, defiance, or derision made by pointing or jabbing the middle finger upward.
intr.v. bird·ed, bird·ing, birdsIdiom:
1. To observe and identify birds in their natural surroundings.
2. To trap, shoot, or catch birds.
for the birds
Objectionable or worthless.
[Middle English, from Old English brid, young bird.]
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
for the birds
Of no value whatsoever.
Dictionary of Unfamiliar Words by Diagram Group Copyright © 2008 by Diagram Visual Information Limited