forking(redirected from Fork (disambiguation))
Also found in: Thesaurus, Wikipedia.
1. A utensil with two or more prongs, used for eating or serving food.
2. An implement with two or more prongs used for raising, carrying, piercing, or digging.
a. A bifurcation or separation into two or more branches or parts.
b. The point at which such a bifurcation or separation occurs: a fork in a road.
c. One of the branches of such a bifurcation or separation: the right fork. See Synonyms at branch.
4. Games An attack by one chess piece on two pieces at the same time.
v. forked, fork·ing, forks
1. To raise, carry, pitch, or pierce with a fork.
2. To give the shape of a fork to (one's fingers, for example).
3. Games To launch an attack on (two chess pieces).
4. Informal To pay. Used with over, out, or up: forked over $80 for front-row seats; forked up the money owed.
1. To divide into two or more branches: The river forks here.
a. To use a fork, as in working.
b. To turn at or travel along a fork.
[Middle English forke, digging fork, from Old English forca and from Old North French forque, both from Latin furca.]
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||forking - the place where something divides into branches|
bifurcation - the place where something divides into two branches
|2.||forking - the act of branching out or dividing into branches|
division - the act or process of dividing
bifurcation - the act of splitting into two branches
trifurcation - the act of splitting into three branches
divarication - branching at a wide angle
fibrillation - act or process of forming fibrils
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.