forlorn hope(redirected from Forlon hope)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Legal.
1. An arduous or nearly hopeless undertaking.
2. An advance guard of troops sent on a hazardous mission.
1. a hopeless or desperate enterprise
2. a faint hope
3. (Military) obsolete a group of soldiers assigned to an extremely dangerous duty
[C16 (in the obsolete sense): changed (by folk etymology) from Dutch verloren hoop lost troop, from verloren, past participle of verliezen to lose + hoop troop (literally: heap)]
1. a perilous or desperate enterprise.
2. a vain hope.
3. Obs. a group of soldiers assigned to perform some unusually dangerous service.