militia(redirected from Fowj)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Legal, Encyclopedia.
1. An army composed of ordinary citizens rather than professional soldiers.
2. A military force that is not part of a regular army and is subject to call for service in an emergency.
3. The whole body of physically fit civilians eligible by law for military service.
[Latin mīlitia, warfare, military service, from mīles, mīlit-, soldier.]
1. (Military) a body of citizen (as opposed to professional) soldiers
2. (Military) an organization containing men enlisted for service in emergency only
[C16: from Latin: soldiery, from mīles soldier]
1. a body of citizens enrolled for military service, called out periodically for drill but serving full time only in emergencies.
2. a body of citizen soldiers as distinguished from professional soldiers.
3. all able-bodied males eligible by law for military service.
4. a body of citizens organized in a paramilitary group and typically regarding themselves as defenders of individual rights against the presumed interference of the federal government.
[1580–90; < Latin mīlitia soldiery =mīlit-, s. of mīles soldier + -ia -ia]
Militiaa military force or ‘citizen army,’ 1590.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||militia - civilians trained as soldiers but not part of the regular army|
military force, military group, military unit, force - a unit that is part of some military service; "he sent Caesar a force of six thousand men"
armed forces, armed services, military, military machine, war machine - the military forces of a nation; "their military is the largest in the region"; "the military machine is the same one we faced in 1991 but now it is weaker"
SA, Storm Troops, Sturmabteilung - Nazi militia created by Hitler in 1921 that helped him to power but was eclipsed by the SS after 1943
trainband - a company of militia in England or America from the 16th century to the 18th century
militiaman - a member of the militia; serves only during emergencies
|2.||militia - the entire body of physically fit civilians eligible by law for military service; "their troops were untrained militia"; "Congress shall have power to provide for calling forth the militia"--United States Constitution|
body - a group of persons associated by some common tie or occupation and regarded as an entity; "the whole body filed out of the auditorium"; "the student body"; "administrative body"