Fraulein(redirected from Fraeulein)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Acronyms.
n. pl. Fräulein Abbr. Frl.
1. Used as a courtesy title in a German-speaking area before the name of an unmarried woman or girl. See Usage Note at miss2.
2. fräulein Used as a form of polite address for a girl or young woman in a German-speaking area.
3. Chiefly British A German governess.
[German, diminutive of Frau, woman; see Frau.]
Fräulein(German ˈfrɔylain; English ˈfrɔːlaɪn; ˈfraʊ-)
n, pl -lein or English -leins
1. an unmarried German woman: formerly used as a title equivalent to Miss. Abbreviation: Frl
2. fraulein informal any young German woman
[from Middle High German vrouwelīn, diminutive of vrouwe lady]
Fräu•lein(ˈfrɔɪ laɪn or, often, ˈfrɔ-, ˈfraʊ-)
n., pl. -leins, -lein.
the conventional German title of respect and term of address for an unmarried woman.
[1685–95; < German]
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||Fraulein - a German courtesy title or form of address for an unmarried woman|
form of address, title of respect, title - an identifying appellation signifying status or function: e.g. `Mr.' or `General'; "the professor didn't like his friends to use his formal title"