Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Free State 1
1. See Congo.
2. See Ireland.
3. A province and historical region of east-central South Africa. European settlement of the area began early in the 1800s and accelerated with an influx of Boer farmers after 1835. Great Britain annexed the region in 1848 and granted it independence as the Orange Free State in 1854. In 1900, during the Boer War, Great Britain once again annexed the territory, this time as the Orange River Colony. The renamed Orange Free State formed an independent government in 1907 and became a founding province of South Africa in 1910, being renamed again to Free State in 1995.
Free State 2
Any of the states in the Union in which slavery was illegal before the Civil War.
1. (Placename) a province of central South Africa; replaced the former province of Orange Free State in 1994: gold and uranium mining. Capital: Bloemfontein. Pop: 2 745 590 (2011 est). Area: 129 480 sq km (49 992 sq miles)
2. (Historical Terms) history US (before the Civil War) any state prohibiting slavery
3. (Placename) short for Irish Free State
1. (before the Civil War) a state in which slavery was prohibited.
One where slaves have been freed or where slavery has not been permitted.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||Free State - a Mid-Atlantic state; one of the original 13 colonies|
U.S.A., United States, United States of America, US, USA, America, the States, U.S. - North American republic containing 50 states - 48 conterminous states in North America plus Alaska in northwest North America and the Hawaiian Islands in the Pacific Ocean; achieved independence in 1776
Mid-Atlantic states - a region of the eastern United States comprising New York and New Jersey and Pennsylvania and Delaware and Maryland
South - the region of the United States lying to the south of the Mason-Dixon line
Aberdeen - a town in northeastern Maryland
Baltimore - the largest city in Maryland; a major seaport and industrial center
Fort George G. Meade, Fort George Gordon Meade, Fort Meade - a United States Army base in Maryland; headquarters of the National Security Agency
Frederick - a town in northern Maryland to the west of Baltimore
Hagerstown - a town in northern Maryland
Chesapeake Bay - a large inlet of the North Atlantic between Virginia and Maryland; fed by Susquehanna River
Potomac, Potomac River - a river in the east central United States; rises in West Virginia in the Appalachian Mountains and flows eastward, forming the boundary between Maryland and Virginia, to the Chesapeake Bay
|2.||free state - any state prohibiting slavery prior to the American Civil War|
American state - one of the 50 states of the United States
North, Union - the United States (especially the northern states during the American Civil War); "he has visited every state in the Union"; "Lee hoped to detach Maryland from the Union"; "the North's superior resources turned the scale"
slave state - any of the southern states in which slavery was legal prior to the American Civil War
|3.||Free State - a province in central South Africa that was colonized by the Boers; named Free State in 1997|