township(redirected from Free municipalities)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Legal, Financial, Encyclopedia.
n. Abbr. Twp. or Tp. or T
1. A subdivision of a county in most northeast and Midwest US states, having the status of a unit of local government with varying governmental powers.
2. A public land surveying unit of 36 sections or 36 square miles.
3. An ancient administrative division of a large parish in England.
4. A suburb or city in South Africa formerly designated by the government as a predominantly black residential area.
1. (Human Geography) a small town
2. (Human Geography) (in the Scottish Highlands and islands) a small crofting community
3. (Government, Politics & Diplomacy) (in the US and Canada) a territorial area, esp a subdivision of a county: often organized as a unit of local government
4. (Government, Politics & Diplomacy) (formerly, in South Africa) a planned urban settlement of Black Africans or Coloured people. Compare location4
5. (Historical Terms) English history
a. any of the local districts of a large parish, each division containing a village or small town
b. the particular manor or parish itself as a territorial division
c. the inhabitants of a township collectively
1. a unit of local government, usu. a subdivision of a county, found in most midwestern and northeastern states of the U.S. and in most Canadian provinces.
2. (in U.S. surveys of public land) a region or district approximately 6 miles square (93.2 sq. km), containing 36 sections.
a. one of the local divisions or districts of a large parish in ancient England.
b. the parish itself.
4. (in South Africa) a residential settlement for blacks, located outside a city or town.
Townshipthe inhabitants of a town, collectively, c. 890.