free association(redirected from Free-association)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
1. A spontaneous, logically unconstrained and undirected association of ideas, emotions, and feelings.
2. A psychoanalytic technique in which a patient's articulation of free associations is encouraged in order to reveal unconscious thoughts and emotions, such as traumatic experiences that have been repressed.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Psychoanalysis) psychoanal a method of exploring a person's unconscious by eliciting words and thoughts that are associated with key words provided by a psychoanalyst
2. a spontaneous mental process whereby ideas, words, or images suggest other ideas, etc, in a nonlogical chain reaction
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. Psychoanal. the uncensored expression of the ideas, impressions, etc., passing through the mind of an analysand.
2. any process in which one idea, word, etc., suggests or elicits the next without following any logical order or conscious direction.
free′-asso′ciate, v.i. -at•ed, -at•ing.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Psychoanalysis. the unhampered and uncensored expression of ideas, impressions, etc., passing through the mind of the patiënt, used to permit access to the processes of the unconscious.See also: Thinking
-Ologies & -Isms. Copyright 2008 The Gale Group, Inc. All rights reserved.
In this method, sometimes used in psychoanalysis, subjects are encouraged to let their thoughts wander, the final chain of associations often providing clues to the underlying disturbance.
Dictionary of Unfamiliar Words by Diagram Group Copyright © 2008 by Diagram Visual Information Limited
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||free association - a thought process in which ideas (words or images) suggest other ideas in a sequence|
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.