Also found in: Thesaurus, Financial, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to French Guinea: French Guiana
(Placename) a former French territory of French West Africa: became independent as Guinea in 1958
n., pl. -eas for 4, 5.
1. a coastal region in W Africa, extending from the Gambia River to the Gabon estuary.
2. Formerly, French Guinea. an independent republic in W Africa, on the Atlantic coast. 7,538,953; ab. 96,900 sq. mi. (250,971 sq. km).Cap.: Conakry.
3. Gulf of, a part of the Atlantic Ocean that projects into the W coast of Africa and extends from Ivory Coast to Gabon.
4. (l.c.) a former money of account of the United Kingdom, equal to 21 shillings: still used in quoting fees or prices.
5. (l.c.) a gold coin of Great Britain issued 1663–1813, worth 21 shillings.
Guin′e•an, adj., n.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||French Guinea - a republic in western Africa on the Atlantic; formerly a French colony; achieved independence from France in 1958|
Africa - the second largest continent; located to the south of Europe and bordered to the west by the South Atlantic and to the east by the Indian Ocean
Guinean - a native or inhabitant of Guinea