gam(redirected from GAM (disambiguation))
Also found in: Thesaurus.
1. A social visit or friendly interchange, especially between whalers or other seafarers.
2. A herd of whales.
v. gammed, gam·ming, gams
To hold a visit, especially while at sea.
To visit with.
A person's leg.
[Probably from Polari, from Italian gamba, from Late Latin, hoof; see gambol.]
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Fishing) a school of whales
2. (Fishing) nautical an informal visit between crew members of whalers
3. NZ a flock of large sea birds
vb, gams, gamming or gammed
4. (Fishing) (intr) (of whales) to form a school
5. (Nautical Terms) nautical (of members of the crews of whalers) to visit (each other) informally
6. (tr) US to visit or exchange visits with
[C19: perhaps dialect variant of game1]
slang a leg, esp a woman's shapely leg
[C18: probably from Old Northern French gambe or Lingua Franca gambe; see jamb]
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
a person's leg, esp. a woman's well-shaped leg.
[1775–85; probably < Polari < Italian gamba leg; see jamb]
n., v. gammed, gam•ming. n.
1. a herd or school of whales.
2. a social meeting or visit between whalers.v.i.
3. (of whales) to assemble into a herd or school.
4. (of whalers) to participate in a gam.
[1840–50, Amer.; perhaps dial. variant of game1]
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Gama herd or school of whales; also whaling ships in company.
Examples: gam of porpoises; of whales; of whaling ships, 1850.
Dictionary of Collective Nouns and Group Terms. Copyright 2008 The Gale Group, Inc. All rights reserved.
Past participle: gammed
Collins English Verb Tables © HarperCollins Publishers 2011