Gaelic(redirected from Gaelic (disambiguation))
Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia.
Of or relating to the Gaels or their culture or languages.
2. Any of the Goidelic languages, especially:
b. (often găl′ĭk) Scottish Gaelic.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
(Languages) any of the closely related languages of the Celts in Ireland, Scotland, or (formerly) the Isle of Man. Compare Goidelic
1. (Peoples) of, denoting, or relating to the Celtic people of Ireland, Scotland, or the Isle of Man or their language or customs
2. (Languages) of, denoting, or relating to the Celtic people of Ireland, Scotland, or the Isle of Man or their language or customs
3. (Placename) of, denoting, or relating to the Celtic people of Ireland, Scotland, or the Isle of Man or their language or customs
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
2. the Irish and Scottish Gaelic languages collectively.adj.
3. of or pertaining to the Gaels or Gaelic.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||Gaelic - any of several related languages of the Celts in Ireland and Scotland|
Celtic, Celtic language - a branch of the Indo-European languages that (judging from inscriptions and place names) was spread widely over Europe in the pre-Christian era
Manx - the ancient Gaelic formerly spoken on the Isle of Man; the language is sometimes used on ceremonial occasions
|Adj.||1.||Gaelic - relating to or characteristic of the Celts|
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
Collins English/French Electronic Resource. © HarperCollins Publishers 2005
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007
1. adj → gaelico/a
2. n (language) → gaelico
Collins Italian Dictionary 1st Edition © HarperCollins Publishers 1995