Gaelic(redirected from Gaelic (disambiguation))
Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia.
Of or relating to the Gaels or their culture or languages.
2. Any of the Goidelic languages, especially:
b. (often găl′ĭk) Scottish Gaelic.
(Languages) any of the closely related languages of the Celts in Ireland, Scotland, or (formerly) the Isle of Man. Compare Goidelic
1. (Peoples) of, denoting, or relating to the Celtic people of Ireland, Scotland, or the Isle of Man or their language or customs
2. (Languages) of, denoting, or relating to the Celtic people of Ireland, Scotland, or the Isle of Man or their language or customs
3. (Placename) of, denoting, or relating to the Celtic people of Ireland, Scotland, or the Isle of Man or their language or customs
2. the Irish and Scottish Gaelic languages collectively.adj.
3. of or pertaining to the Gaels or Gaelic.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||Gaelic - any of several related languages of the Celts in Ireland and Scotland|
Celtic, Celtic language - a branch of the Indo-European languages that (judging from inscriptions and place names) was spread widely over Europe in the pre-Christian era
Manx - the ancient Gaelic formerly spoken on the Isle of Man; the language is sometimes used on ceremonial occasions
|Adj.||1.||Gaelic - relating to or characteristic of the Celts|