Galway(redirected from Gaillimh)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia.
A city of west-central Ireland on Galway Bay, an inlet of the Atlantic Ocean. Galway was incorporated in the late 1300s and is today an important industrial and tourist center.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Placename) a county of W Republic of Ireland, in S Connacht, on Galway Bay and the Atlantic: it has a deeply indented coastline and many offshore islands, including the Aran Islands. County town: Galway. Pop: 209 077 (2002). Area: 5939 sq km (2293 sq miles)
2. (Placename) a port in W Republic of Ireland, county town of Co Galway, on Galway Bay: important fisheries (esp for salmon). Pop: 66 163 (2002)
3. (Breeds) a breed of sheep with long wool, originally from W Ireland. Former name: Roscommon
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. a county in S Connaught, in W Republic of Ireland. 171,836; 2293 sq. mi. (5940 sq. km).
2. its county seat: a seaport in the W part. 47,104.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||Galway - a port city in western Ireland on Galway Bay|
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.