Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Gan·dhi(gän′dē, găn′-), Indira Priyadarshini 1917-1984.
Indian political leader who served as prime minister (1966-1977 and 1980-1984). She was assassinated by Sikh extremists.
Gandhi, Mohandas Karamchand Known as "Mahatma." 1869-1948.
Indian nationalist and spiritual leader who developed the practice of nonviolent disobedience that forced Great Britain to grant independence to India (1947). He was assassinated by a Hindu fanatic.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Biography) Indira (Priyadarshini) (ɪnˈdɪərə, ˈɪndərə), daughter of Jawaharlal Nehru. 1917–84, Indian stateswoman; prime minister of India (1966–77; 1980–84); assassinated
2. (Biography) Mohandas Karamchand (ˌməʊhənˈdʌs ˌkʌrəmˈtʃʌnd), known as Mahatma Gandhi. 1869–1948, Indian political and spiritual leader and social reformer. He played a major part in India's struggle for home rule and was frequently imprisoned by the British for organizing acts of civil disobedience. He advocated passive resistance and hunger strikes as means of achieving reform, campaigned for the untouchables, and attempted to unite Muslims and Hindus. He was assassinated by a Hindu extremist
3. (Biography) Rajiv (ræˈdʒiːv), son of Indira Gandhi. 1944–91, Indian statesman; prime minister of India (1984–89); assassinated
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
Gan•dhi(ˈgɑn di, ˈgæn-)
1. Indira, 1917–84, prime minister of India 1966–77 and 1980–84 (daughter of Jawaharlal Nehru).
2. Mohandas Karamchand ( “Mahatma” ), 1869–1948, Hindu religious leader, nationalist, and social reformer.
3. Rajiv, 1944–91, prime minister of India 1984–1989 (son of Indira).
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||Gandhi - daughter of Nehru who served as prime minister of India from 1966 to 1977 (1917-1984)|
|2.||Gandhi - political and spiritual leader during India's struggle with Great Britain for home rule; an advocate of passive resistance (1869-1948)|
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.