geek(redirected from Geekier)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Financial, Encyclopedia.
Related to Geekier: geeky
Also: computer geekan expert in programming and/or repairing computers
a. A person regarded as foolish, inept, or clumsy.
b. A person who is single-minded or accomplished in scientific or technical pursuits but is felt to be socially inept.
2. A carnival performer whose show consists of bizarre acts, such as biting the head off a live chicken.
tr.v. geeked, geek·ing, geeks
To excite emotionally: I'm geeked about that new video game.
[Perhaps alteration of dialectal geck, fool, from Low German gek, from Middle Low German.]
1. a person who is knowledgeable and enthusiastic about a specific subject
2. a boring and unattractive social misfit
[C19: probably variant of Scottish geck fool, from Middle Low German geck]
1. a peculiar person, esp. one who is overly intellectual.
2. an expert in computers (a term of pride as self-reference, but often considered offensive when used by outsiders.)
3. a carnival performer billed as performing bizarre acts, as biting off the head of a live chicken.
[1905–10; probably variant of geck (mainly Scots) fool < Dutch or Low German gek]
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||geek - a carnival performer who does disgusting acts|
|2.||geek - a person with an unusual or odd personality|