Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Ge·ne·van(jə-nē′vən) also Gen·e·vese (jĕn′ə-vēz′, -vēs′)
1. Of or relating to Geneva, Switzerland, or its inhabitants.
2. Of or relating to the teachings of John Calvin in Geneva; Calvinistic.
1. A native or inhabitant of Geneva, Switzerland.
2. A Calvinist.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Placename) of, relating to, or characteristic of Geneva
2. (Christian Churches, other) of, adhering to, or relating to the teachings of Calvin or the Calvinists
n, pl -vans or -vese
3. (Peoples) a native or inhabitant of Geneva
4. (Christian Churches, other) a less common name for Calvinist
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. of or pertaining to Geneva, Switzerland.
3. a native or resident of Geneva, Switzerland.
4. a Calvinist.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||Genevan - a native or resident of Geneva|
Geneva, Geneve, Genf - a city in southwestern Switzerland at the western end of Lake Geneva; it is the headquarters of various international organizations
|2.||Genevan - an adherent of the theological doctrines of John Calvin|
Huguenot - a French Calvinist of the 16th or 17th centuries
necessitarian - someone who does not believe the doctrine of free will
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
Genevan[dʒɪˈniːv/ən] adj & n → ginevrino/a
Collins Italian Dictionary 1st Edition © HarperCollins Publishers 1995