Madeira(redirected from Geography of the Madeira Islands)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia.
Ma·dei·ra 1(mə-dîr′ə, -dĕr′ə)
A river of northwest Brazil rising on the Bolivian border and flowing about 3,315 km (2,060 mi) generally northeast to the Amazon River near Manaus. It is the most important tributary of the Amazon.
Ma·dei·ra 2(mə-dîr′ə, -dĕr′ə)
A fortified dessert wine, especially from the island of Madeira.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
Madeira(məˈdɪərə; Portuguese məˈðəirə)
1. (Placename) a group of volcanic islands in the N Atlantic, west of Morocco: since 1976 an autonomous region of Portugal; consists of the chief island, Madeira, Porto Santo, and the uninhabited Deserta and Selvagen Islands. Capital: Funchal. Pop: 245 012 (2001). Area: 797 sq km (311 sq miles)
2. (Placename) a river in W Brazil, flowing northeast to the Amazon below Manaus. Length: 3241 km (2013 miles)
3. (Brewing) a rich strong fortified white wine made on Madeira
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
Ma•dei•ra(məˈdɪər ə, -ˈdɛər ə)
1. a group of eight islands off the NW coast of Africa belonging to Portugal. 258,000; 308 sq. mi. (798 sq. km). Cap.: Funchal.
2. the chief island of this group. 286 sq. mi. (741 sq. km).
3. (often l.c.) a fortified amber-colored wine from Madeira.
4. a river in W Brazil flowing NE to the Amazon: chief tributary of the Amazon. 2100 mi. (3380 km) long.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||Madeira - a Brazilian river; tributary of the Amazon River|
|2.||Madeira - an island in the Atlantic Ocean off the coast of Africa; the largest of the Madeira Islands|
|3.||Madeira - an amber dessert wine from the Madeira Islands|
fortified wine - wine to which alcohol (usually grape brandy) has been added
malmsey - sweet Madeira wine
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
Madeira[məˈdɪərə] N → Madeira f; (= wine) → (vino m de) madeira m
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
(= island) → Madère f
(= wine) → madère mmade-to-measure [ˌmeɪdtəˈmɛʒər] adj (British) [suit, curtains] → fait(e) sur mesuremade-up [ˌmeɪdˈʌp] adj
(= invented) [story, word, name] → inventé(e)
(= false) → faux(fausse)
Collins English/French Electronic Resource. © HarperCollins Publishers 2005
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007
Collins Italian Dictionary 1st Edition © HarperCollins Publishers 1995