ghoul(redirected from Ghouls)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia.
1. An evil spirit or demon in Muslim folklore believed to plunder graves and feed on corpses.
2. In popular folklore, an undead or subhuman being, especially one that eats human flesh.
3. A grave robber.
4. One who delights in the revolting, morbid, or loathsome.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. a malevolent spirit or ghost
2. a person interested in morbid or disgusting things
3. a person who robs graves
4. (Non-European Myth & Legend) (in Muslim legend) an evil demon thought to eat human bodies, either stolen corpses or children
[C18: from Arabic ghūl, from ghāla he seized]
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. an evil demon, orig. of Eastern legend, believed to rob graves, prey on corpses, etc.
2. a grave robber.
3. a person who revels in what is revolting.
[1780–90; < Arabic ghūl]
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||ghoul - someone who takes bodies from graves and sells them for anatomical dissection|
|2.||ghoul - an evil spirit or ghost|
evil spirit - a spirit tending to cause harm
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
The American Heritage® Roget's Thesaurus. Copyright © 2013, 2014 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
ghoul[ˈguːl] n (= ghost) → vampire m
Collins English/French Electronic Resource. © HarperCollins Publishers 2005
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007