Also found in: Legal, Acronyms, Idioms, Wikipedia.
Related to Gloria: Gloria in Excelsis Deo
a. A Latin doxology beginning with the words Gloria Patri.
b. A Latin doxology that is the second item of the Ordinary of the Roman Catholic Mass and begins with the words Gloria in excelsis Deo.
2. A musical setting for either of these doxologies.
3. gloria A halo or nimbus.
[Middle English, from Late Latin Glōria, from Latin glōria, glory.]
1. (Textiles) a silk, wool, cotton, or nylon fabric used esp for umbrellas
2. (Art Terms) a halo or nimbus, esp as represented in art
[C16: from Latin: glory]
1. (Ecclesiastical Terms) any of several doxologies beginning with the word Gloria, esp the Greater and the Lesser Doxologies
2. (Music, other) a musical setting of one of these
Glo•ri•a in Ex•cel•sis De•o(ˈglɔr i ə ɪn ɛkˈsɛl sɪs ˈdeɪ oʊ, ˈgloʊr-)
the hymn beginning “Glory in the highest to God.”
A Latin word meaning glory, used to mean a hymn in praise of God that begins with this word.