|(Chem.)||a large tower or chamber used in the manufacture of sulphuric acid, to condense the crude acid and to deliver concentrated acid charged with nitrous fumes. These fumes, as a catalytic, effect the conversion of sulphurous to sulphuric acid. See Sulphuric acid, under Sulphuric, and Gay Lussac's tower, above.|
See also: Tower
Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary, published 1913 by G. & C. Merriam Co.