Also found in: Thesaurus, Acronyms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to Gold Coast: Brisbane
1. A section of coastal western Africa along the Gulf of Guinea roughly corresponding to present-day Ghana. It was named for the large quantities of gold formerly found in the area and brought to the coast for sale.
2. A former British colony (1874-1957) on the Gold Coast, now part of Ghana.
1. A rich neighborhood.
2. The executive suite or suites in a company's headquarters.
[After the Gold Coast.]
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Placename) the former name (until 1957) of Ghana
2. (Placename) a line of resort towns and beaches in E Australia, extending for over 30 km (20 miles) along the SE coast of Queensland and the NE coast of New South Wales
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. a former British territory in W Africa; now a part of Ghana.
2. a wealthy residential area along a shore.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||Gold Coast - a republic in West Africa on the Gulf of Guinea; "Ghana was colonized as the Gold Coast by the British"|
Lake Volta - the Volta river in southeastern has been dammed to create one of the world's largest man-made lakes
Kumasi - a city in southern Ghana
Tamale - a city in northern Ghana
Africa - the second largest continent; located to the south of Europe and bordered to the west by the South Atlantic and to the east by the Indian Ocean
Volta - a river in Ghana that flows south to the Bight of Benin
Ewe - a member of a people living in southern Benin and Togo and southeastern Ghana
Ghanian - a native or inhabitant of Ghana
|2.||gold coast - a rich neighborhood noted for expensive homes and luxurious living; usually along a coastal area; "Chicago's gold coast is along Lake Michigan"|
locality, neck of the woods, neighborhood, neighbourhood, vicinity - a surrounding or nearby region; "the plane crashed in the vicinity of Asheville"; "it is a rugged locality"; "he always blames someone else in the immediate neighborhood"; "I will drop in on you the next time I am in this neck of the woods"
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.