gomer(redirected from Gomers)
Also found in: Medical, Acronyms, Idioms, Encyclopedia.
1. An unsophisticated person; a yokel.
2. A patient considered irksome by a health care provider, especially a patient with chronic complaints that are trivial or unresponsive to repeated treatment.
[After Gomer Pyle, yokel character in the television series The Andy Griffith Show.]
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Medicine) a disagreeable hospital patient
2. (Military) military slang an inept colleague or trainee
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. an undesirable hospital patient.
2. an enemy aviator, esp. in a dogfight.
[1965–70; of disputed orig.]
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.