grange(redirected from Grange (disambiguation))
Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia.
1. Grange Chiefly Northeastern US
a. An association of farmers founded in the United States in 1867.
b. One of the branch lodges of this association.
2. Chiefly British A farm, especially the residence and outbuildings of a gentleman farmer.
3. Archaic A granary.
1. (Agriculture) chiefly Brit a farm, esp a farmhouse or country house with its various outbuildings
2. (Historical Terms) history an outlying farmhouse in which a religious establishment or feudal lord stored crops and tithes in kind
3. (Agriculture) archaic a granary or barn
[C13: from Anglo-French graunge, from Medieval Latin grānica, from Latin grānum grain]
(in the US) n
1. (Government, Politics & Diplomacy) the Grange an association of farmers that strongly influenced state legislatures in the late 19th century
2. (Government, Politics & Diplomacy) a lodge of this association
1. a farm, with its nearby buildings.
2. (cap.) the Patrons of Husbandry, a farmers' organization formed in 1867 for social and cultural purposes.
3. Archaic. a barn or granary.
[1150–1200; < Anglo-French « Latin grān(um) grain]