Frederick William(redirected from Great Elector, the)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia.
Frederick WilliamKnown as "the Great Elector." 1620-1688.
Elector of Brandenburg (1640-1688) who reorganized and rebuilt his domain after its devastation in the Thirty Years' War.
(Biography) called the Great Elector. 1620–88, elector of Brandenburg (1640–88)
1. ( “the Great Elector” ) 1620–88, elector of Brandenburg who increased the power and importance of Prussia.
2. Frederick William I, 1688–1740, king of Prussia 1713–40.
3. Frederick William II, 1744–97, king of Prussia 1786–97.
4. Frederick William III, 1770–1840, king of Prussia 1797–1840.
5. Frederick William VI, 1795–1861, king of Prussia 1840–61 (brother of William I of Prussia).