Great Russian(redirected from Great Russian language)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Wikipedia.
A Russian. Used formerly in distinguishing ethnic Russians from other constituent peoples of the Soviet Union or the Russian Empire.
[Translation of Russian Velikorusskiĭ : velikiĭ, great + russkiĭ, Russian.]
2. (Peoples) a member of the chief East Slavonic people of Russia
3. (Peoples) of or relating to this people or their language
4. (Languages) of or relating to this people or their language
a. a member of a Slavic people, the dominant ethnic group in the Russian Federation, whose historical homeland lies along the upper Volga and Oka rivers and adjacent areas.
b. the East Slavic language of this people: the official language of Russia or the Russian Federation. Abbr.: Russ
2. any native or citizen of Russia or the Russian Federation.adj.
3. of or pertaining to Russia, its inhabitants, or their language.