Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Greene, Nathanael 1742-1786.
American Revolutionary general whose strategies significantly weakened British strength in the South.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Biography) Graham. 1904–91, English novelist and dramatist; his works include the novels Brighton Rock (1938), The Power and the Glory (1940), The End of the Affair (1951), and Our Man in Havana (1958), and the film script The Third Man (1949)
2. (Biography) Robert. ?1558–92, English poet, dramatist, and prose writer, noted for his autobiographical tract A Groatsworth of Wit bought with a Million of Repentance (1592), which contains an attack on Shakespeare
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. Graham, 1904–91, English novelist and journalist.
2. Nathanael, 1742–86, American Revolutionary general.
3. Robert, 1558–92, English playwright and poet.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.