grunge(redirected from Grunge rock)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia.
Related to Grunge rock: Alternative rock
1. Informal Filth; dirt.
2. Rock music that incorporates elements of punk rock and heavy metal, often expressing a bleak or nihilistic outlook.
[Back-formation from grungy.]
1. slang US dirt or rubbish
2. (Music, other) a style of rock music originating in the US in the late 1980s, featuring a distorted guitar sound
3. (Clothing & Fashion) a deliberately untidy and uncoordinated fashion style
[C20: possibly a coinage imitating grime + sludge]
1. dirt; filth; rubbish.
2. something of inferior quality.
3. a style or fashion derived from a movement in rock music: in fashion characterized by unkempt clothing and in music by aggressive, nihilistic songs.
[1960–65; expressive coinage]
A fusion of rock and punk music that became popular in the 1990s.