guarani(redirected from Guarany)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Financial, Encyclopedia.
Gua·ra·níalso Gua·ra·ni (gwä′rə-nē′)
n. pl. Guaraní or Gua·ra·nís also Gua·ra·ni or Gua·ra·nis
1. A member of a South American Indian people of Paraguay, northern Argentina, and southern Brazil.
2. The Tupí-Guaraní language of this people.
[Spanish guaraní, of South American Indian origin.]
n. pl. gua·ra·ni·es (-nē′ĕs)
See Table at currency.
[Spanish guaraní, Guaraní; see Guaraní.]
npl -ni or -nis
1. (Peoples) a member of a South American Indian people of Paraguay, S Brazil, and Bolivia
2. (Languages) the language of this people, belonging to the Tupi-Guarani family; one of the official languages of Paraguay, along with Spanish
n, pl -ní or -nís
(Currencies) the standard monetary unit of Paraguay, divided into 100 céntimos
n., pl. -ni, -nis.
the basic monetary unit of Paraguay.
[1940–45; < Sp, after Guarani]
or Gua•ra•ní(ˌgwɑr əˈni)
n., pl. -nis, -nies, (esp. collectively) -ni.
1. a member of any of a group of American Indian peoples of NE Paraguay and Brazil.
2. the language of these peoples.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||guarani - the basic unit of money in Paraguay; equal to 100 centimos|
centimo - a fractional monetary unit of Venezuela and Costa Rica and Equatorial Guinea and Paraguay and Spain
Paraguayan monetary unit - monetary unit in Paraguay
|2.||Guarani - a member of the South American people living in Paraguay and Bolivia|
South American Indian - a member of a native Indian group in South America
|3.||Guarani - the language spoken by the Guarani of Paraguay and Bolivia|