goulash(redirected from Gulash)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia.
a. A stew of beef or veal and vegetables, seasoned mainly with paprika.
b. Any of various similar stews of mixed ingredients.
2. A dish of ground beef, macaroni, and onions covered in a seasoned tomato sauce and often mixed with melted cheese.
3. A mixture of many different elements; a hodgepodge.
[Hungarian, short for gulyáshús, literally "herdsman's meat," goulash, from gulyás, herdsman: gulya, herd of cows (perhaps of Northeast Caucasian origin and akin to Dargwa gula, cattle for fattening) + -s, occupational noun suff.].]
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Cookery) Also called: Hungarian goulash a rich stew, originating in Hungary, made of beef, lamb, or veal highly seasoned with paprika
2. (Bridge) bridge a method of dealing in threes and fours without first shuffling the cards, to produce freak hands
[C19: from Hungarian gulyás hus herdsman's meat, from gulya herd]
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
gou•lash(ˈgu lɑʃ, -læʃ)
1. a stew of beef or veal and vegetables, seasoned with paprika.
2. hodgepodge; jumble.
[1865–70; < Hungarian gulyás, short for gulyáshús herdsman's meat]
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||goulash - a rich meat stew highly seasoned with paprika|
stew - food prepared by stewing especially meat or fish with vegetables
beef goulash - meat is browned before stewing
pork-and-veal goulash - made with sauerkraut and caraway seeds and served with sour cream
porkholt - made of lamb or pork
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
n → Gulasch nt
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007
goulash[ˈguːlæʃ] n → gulasch m inv
Collins Italian Dictionary 1st Edition © HarperCollins Publishers 1995