backlight(redirected from HCFL)
Also found in: Acronyms, Encyclopedia.
Related to HCFL: HCLF
1. A type of spotlight, used in photography, that illuminates a subject from behind.
2. A light that amplifies the brightness of an LCD screen by illuminating it from behind.
tr.v. back·light·ed or back·lit (-lĭt′), back·light·ing, back·lights
To light from behind: The photographer backlit the subject for a dramatic effect.
1. (Photography) photog light falling on a photographic or television subject from the rear
2. (Electronics) electronics a light source at the back of an LCD screen
to light (the subject) from a source positioned behind it
n., v. -light•ed -lit, -light•ing. n.
1. a light source placed behind an object, person, or scene to create a highlight that separates the subject from the background.v.t.
2. to illuminate (something) from behind: a backlit screen on a computer.