Promised Land(redirected from Ha-Aretz ha-Muvtahat)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia.
1. In the Bible, the land promised by God to Abraham's descendants, identified with the land of Canaan.
2. promised land A longed-for place or situation where satisfaction and happiness will be achieved.
1. (Bible) Old Testament the land of Canaan, promised by God to Abraham and his descendants as their heritage (Genesis 12:7)
2. (Bible) heaven, esp when considered as the goal towards which Christians journey in their earthly lives
3. any longed-for place where one expects to find greater happiness or fulfilment
Canaan, the land promised by God to Abraham and his descendants. Gen. 12:7.
The land that God promised to give to the descendants of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob which was known as Canaan or Palestine.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||Promised Land - an ancient country in southwestern Asia on the east coast of the Mediterranean Sea; a place of pilgrimage for Christianity and Islam and Judaism|
Judaea, Judea - the southern part of ancient Palestine succeeding the kingdom of Judah; a Roman province at the time of Christ
Samaria - an ancient city in central Palestine founded in the 9th century BC as the capital of the northern Hebrew kingdom of Israel; the site is in present-day northwestern Jordan
Philistia - an ancient region on the coast of southwestern Palestine that was strategically located on a trade route between Syria and Egypt; important in biblical times
Asia - the largest continent with 60% of the earth's population; it is joined to Europe on the west to form Eurasia; it is the site of some of the world's earliest civilizations
Jordan, Jordan River - a river in Palestine that empties into the Dead Sea; John the Baptist baptized Jesus in the Jordan
chebab - a Palestinian juvenile 10-15 years old who fights against the Israelis
|2.||promised land - any place of complete bliss and delight and peace|
|3.||Promised Land - the goal towards which Christians strive|
Heaven - the abode of God and the angels