Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. (Biography) J(ohn) B(urdon) S(anderson) 1892–1964, Scottish biochemist, geneticist, and writer on science
2. (Biography) his father, John Scott. 1860–1936, Scottish physiologist, noted particularly for his research into industrial diseases
3. (Biography) his brother, Richard Burdon, 1st Viscount Haldane of Cloan. 1856–1928, British statesman and jurist. As secretary of state for war (1905–12) he reorganized the army and set up the territorial reserve
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. John Burdon Sanderson, 1892–1964, English geneticist.
2. his father, John Scott, 1860–1936, Scottish physiologist.
3. Richard Burdon (Viscount Haldane of Cloan), 1856–1928, Scottish jurist (brother of John Scott).
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||Haldane - Scottish geneticist (son of John Haldane) who contributed to the development of population genetics; a popularizer of science and a Marxist (1892-1964)|
|2.||Haldane - Scottish physiologist and brother of Richard Haldane and Elizabeth Haldane; noted for research into industrial diseases (1860-1936)|
|3.||Haldane - Scottish writer and sister of Richard Haldane and John Haldane (1862-1937)|
|4.||Haldane - Scottish statesman and brother of Elizabeth and John Haldane (1856-1928)|
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.