Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. The capital of Bermuda, on Bermuda Island. Founded in 1790, it is an important tourist resort.
2. A city of southeast Ontario, Canada, at the western end of Lake Ontario southwest of Toronto. It grew as a port and industrial center.
3. A city of southwest Ohio north of Cincinnati. It was settled on the site of Fort Hamilton, built in 1791.
1. (Placename) a port in central Canada, in S Ontario on Lake Ontario: iron and steel industry. Pop: 618 820 (2001)
2. (Placename) a city in New Zealand, on central North Island. Pop: 150 200 (2011 est)
3. (Placename) a town in S Scotland, in South Lanarkshire near Glasgow. Pop: 48 546 (2001)
4. (Placename) the capital and chief port of Bermuda. Pop: 3461 (2000)
5. (Placename) the former name of Churchill11
1. (Biography) Alexander. ?1757–1804, American statesman. He was a leader of the Federalists and as first secretary of the Treasury (1789–95) established a federal bank
2. (Biography) Lady Emma. ?1765–1815, mistress of Nelson
3. (Biography) James, 1st Duke of Hamilton. 1606–49, Scottish supporter of Charles I in the English Civil War: defeated by Cromwell at the Battle of Preston and executed
4. (Biography) Lewis (Carl). born 1985, English racing driver; Formula One world champion (2008)
5. (Biography) Richard. 1922–2011, British artist: a pioneer of the pop art style
6. (Biography) Sir William Rowan. 1805–65, Irish mathematician: founded Hamiltonian mechanics and formulated the theory of quaternions
Ham•il•ton(ˈhæm əl tən)
1. Alexander, 1757–1804, first U.S. Secretary of the Treasury 1789–97.
2. Edith, 1867–1963, U.S. classical scholar.
3. Lady Emma (Amy, or Emily, Lyon), 1765?–1815, mistress of Viscount Nelson.
4. former name of Churchill River.
5. Mount, a mountain in W California, near San Jose: site of Lick Observatory. 4209 ft. (1283 m).
6. a seaport in SE Ontario, in SE Canada, on Lake Ontario. 318,499.
7. a city on central North Island, in New Zealand. 156,000.
8. a city in S Scotland, SE of Glasgow. 51,529.
9. a city in SW Ohio. 65,550.
10. the capital of Bermuda. 3000.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||Hamilton - Irish mathematician (1806-1865)|
|2.||Hamilton - English beauty who was the mistress of Admiral Nelson (1765-1815)|
|3.||Hamilton - United States toxicologist known for her work on industrial poisons (1869-1970)|
|4.||Hamilton - United States statesman and leader of the Federalists; as the first Secretary of the Treasury he establish a federal bank; was mortally wounded in a duel with Aaron Burr (1755-1804)|
|5.||Hamilton - a port city in southeastern Ontario at the western end of Lake Ontario|
Ontario - a prosperous and industrialized province in central Canada
|6.||Hamilton - the capital of Bermuda|