Also found in: Acronyms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. (tr) to drag (something) along the ground
2. (intr) to drag oneself; trail along
3. (Building) (tr) to cover (a building) with a mixture of lime and gravel; roughcast
4. (Angling) (intr) to troll for fish
5. the act of harling or dragging
6. a small quantity; a scraping
7. (Building) a mixture of lime and gravel; roughcast
[C18: of unknown origin]
(Angling) angling a variant of herl
Harla leash of three hounds; a small quantity, sometimes termed a couple and a half. See also leash.
Examples: harl of greyhounds, 1847; of hounds, 1827.
Past participle: harled